Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

When I grow up, I wont be a motivational speaker

So this week marks the first time I gave a presentation to the execs at work.  I'm sure they learned a lot about legislation, regulation, and court proceedings.  It's all very fascinating, I know.  Although I've been a 'speaker' for athletic/running events (I used to work at two very incredible specialty running stores... oooh for about a decade.  west coast: http://www.runningcenters.com/  east coast: www.runpacers.com I probably know more about pronation, hydration, and running shoes than anyone should know in a lifetime! and proud of it!) and other things for school, nothing makes me more self-conscious than work and law school.  It's as if I have something to prove, that I'm personally being judged.

Well, I can't say that talking in front of people is comfortable.  I am always reminded of the movie 'old school' where will ferrel has a debate... not that I magically sound intelligent, but I feel like it's an out-of-body-experience and don't quite know or remember the words that leave my mouth.  Hopefully it was somewhat coherent.

I definitely need more practice, but what meant the most to me was the added responsibility.  There's nothing like the feeling of appreciation and respect- way more important than that nervous feeling.  To have bosses recognize my work and knowledge and to trust me in delivering our message to stakeholders, is amazing.  And I did thank them for the opportunity.  So next time you are in a busy mtg, there's a speaker... remember that he/she prepped, worked for that moment and there is so much more to that person than the time he/she is in front of you.

*on another random side note: I say I'm a ninja and it's a joke between my husband and me... but I actually do have a black belt in taekwondo.  Crazy, right?  And my dad used to tell people that we studied under the grandmaster when we lived in Japan- shorin ryu style.  If I showed you the pics, I'd have to kill you- it was the 80s and 90s, I had a horrible perm.  Just trust me.  But see, I'm definitely multi-dimensional. Again, thanks to my parents.  My brother and I used to also do shows/competitions with the do jang/do jo (sp?).  I was never nervous for those- wearing a white uniform that looked like pajamas and screaming... yet this stuff makes me self-conscious?!

*another side note: My brother just texted me that if I don't capitalize, I lose all credibility and interest... So my APOLOGIES.  I am the Editor/Grammar Queen at work and school... and don't generally dot my i's or cross my t's in my personal, casual life.  I'll start CAPITALIZING, just for you, Toady.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...